Please click here to see our 2022-23 curriculum planning overview:
CURRICULUM OVERVIEW 2022-23
To see what each year group is learning
please click on the links below:
our CURRICULUM intent: please click here
At Ocean Academy, our inclusive curriculum will challenge and nurture each child to develop a strong sense of self through a purposeful, engaging and authentic learning journey; preparing resilient and confident learners who have the knowledge, skills and cultural awareness to embrace an ever-changing world.
Our curriculum ensures the development of the knowledge, skills and qualifications required for success by ensuring that all children at Ocean Academy learn in a challenging and supportive environment through a well-developed, progressive curriculum which encourages creativity, celebrates diversity and utilises knowledge, skills and cultural experiences to become active citizens in modern Britain.
Our curriculum has been designed to:
- Be broad, balanced and inclusive
- Be reflective and adaptable to meet the needs of our learners
- Be purposeful, authentic and guided by the needs of our community
- Be highly engaging through challenge and purpose
- Develop and nurture the whole child and value each area of the curriculum equally
- Be progressive and construct strong schemas of knowledge; built on solid foundations of prior learning and understanding
- Give children the opportunity to apply their understanding to real-life, purposeful situations and scenarios
- Encourage pupil voice so that learners can have ownership, seek to improve and make connections
Ocean Academy, as part of the Aspirations Academies Trust, shares a common philosophy and a distinctive approach to education. There are three guiding principles that all Aspirations Academies adhere to and are central to the curriculum:
In applying knowledge to real-world contexts and allowing young learners to take the lead in using this knowledge to find solutions and to deepen their learning, at Ocean Academy, we ensure the following nine Core Principles are clearly featured in every element of the academy’s work:
- High Expectations – Being the very best you can be in your school and community
- Opportunity – Matching your interests with activities that will help you to leave school well-rounded and confident
- Challenge – Making your learning exciting and relevant to the real world
- Talent Development – Enhancing your natural strengths and abilities so you thrive in school and beyond
- Innovation and Enterprise – Supporting your creativity by encouraging you to ask ‘Why?’ and ‘Why not?’
- Makers and Creators – Being a creator, not just a consumer, of technology in our digital world
- Global – Having the cultural awareness needed to communicate in our interconnected world
- Employability – Equipping you with the skills and abilities you’ll need to excel in our ever-changing world
- With Big Dreams and Hard Work – Aspirations means to dream about the future while being inspired in the present to reach those dreams.
Please also refer to our Policies page to view our Equalities statement, SEN and Inclusion Policies.
If you would like to find out any further information about the curriculum, then please call our school office and ask to speak to Mr Tharme.